Thursday, February 23, 2006

Karaoke Adventure #438

As with any trip to the midwest, karaoke was high on the agenda. We returned to our favorite karaoke spot called Boomtown on the University of Minnesota campus. It is box karaoke so you get to sit in a private rooms with your friends. We share the karaoke book, enter the songs, and sing, sing, sing. The reason box karaoke is so spectacular is because you can sing all the songs that you have ever wanted to sing. It is a chance for those who are timid with their karaoke souls to spread their karaoke wings. Amanda and I have never been shy of a solo, yet our friends Janelle and Sara have been more of a duet in the past.

Saturday night became a night for firsts. Janelle experienced Boomtown for the first time and performed somewhere between shaking the tambourine and singing to taking a quick nap on the couch as we sang. Our friend Sara sang several solos. She was our R & B star of the night. Amanda was the rap star with her excellent and impressive rendition of Eminem's Slim Shady. I had no idea this rapper was deep inside this well-behaved woman. Janelle was more of a love songstress with her version of Eternal Flame and some Celine. I took this karaoke opportunity to sing some songs that I might place in the guilty pleasure category. It was awesome.

GUILTY PLEASURES OF BOOMTOWN
Holding Out For a Hero By Bonnie Tyler
September By Earth, Wind, & Fire
Bohemian Rhapsody By Queen
Against All Odds By Phil Collins
Ain't No Mountain High Enough By Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
Top of the World By The Carpenters

1 comment:

Aaron said...

I'd really like to do karaoke some time. When I was student teaching, a group of us student teachers who were all in Council Bluffs we went to a bar, but I didn't get up to sing. I really need to convince my wife and some friends to all go out sometime to do it. I'll need to have someone else drive though, because I think I'd have to get pretty drunk first to get the "courage" to sing in front of a large group of total strangers.