Saturday, December 15, 2007

Constant Cookies

This is the first year since 2000 that I have not done a colossal cookie baking day for Christmas. When I lived in North Dakota and Iowa, I would always bake and bring an enormous cookie and treat tray to school to feed the overfed teachers. However, I now teach in a tiny school and most people are pretty healthy. I could send the tray of treats to the university with Tim, but I just haven't found the inspiration for cookie making.

Don't feel too sad for our empty cookie canisters. I received a box of treats from a student and we've enjoyed the brownies and cookies, but it made me reminisce about the Christmas cookies of my childhood.

In my family, Christmas is the one time of the year where all of the aunts bring their treats in beautifully designed trays. Tray after tray filled with caramel covered marshmallows, rolled sugar cookies, mint brownies, homemade fudge, and more. It was the one time of the year that you could eat cookies all day long and a grown up would just sit and watch and smile. You could have a dinner sized plate filled with only sweet treats and there would be no recommendation to eat a vegetable. It made the grown ups happy that we loved their Christmas cookies.

I do not have a memory of stomach aches or other self-induced ailments. These types of free-for-all cookie frenzies still occur at our family Christmas. Each year, there are more little cousins added to the brood and the binging continues. I would be disappointed if it didn't. It is a great family tradition.

1 comment:

Mrs. T said...

I remember those days as well. It has been a number of years since I've made the variety of cookies and treats that I used to. I tried to do a cookie exchange one year with my book group, but it seems that fewer and fewer people are into baking at Christmas. *sigh*