Thursday, December 20, 2007

You Don't Know Sarah

On VH1, I was wasting precious time watching "The Best Songs of the 90's" the other night. I agreed with about one in ten of their choices. For example, I wouldn't say that Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" was one of the best songs of the 90's, but I would claim from the rooftops that Sarah McLachlan's "Building a Mystery" was one of the best songs.

The thing that bothers me about these shows are the celebrity pundits that comment on the songs and artists. For example, some d-listed celebrity goes on and on about how much they love "Building a Mystery" and finishes by saying,
"I can't wait until I hear more from Sarah."
What? So, that song came out in 1997. Ten years ago. Since then, Sarah McLachlan has had two studio albums, a number of live sessions, and a few remixed albums. Why do they find the most common and uneducated, musically speaking, celebrities to comment on this stuff.

Since I am all salty about music right now, let me share some of the sweet about music. I am loving the following songs right now.

Never Said by Liz Phair.
Anyone Who Had a Heart by Shelby Lynne...an amazing cover of an old Dionne Warwick tune. Completely sad.
The Way I Am by Ingrid Michaelson...it just happens to be on an Old Navy commerical.
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg...also on a commerical for diamonds when the guy gives his gal a necklace in the car.
True by Spandau Ballet

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sean and I wasted precious time too, we got sucked in!! It just brought back so many memories. Though I swear the celebrity opinions are just spliced in. I doubted they were even speaking about that particular song.