Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Midwestern Recipe: Blueberry Pie

I really wanted to take an appealing picture of the yummy blueberry pie that I baked this afternoon, but it was a bit juicy and I lost all control over the pie. I will still share the photo and the recipe.

I called Tim to tell him to NOT EAT THE PIE until I returned from an appointment that I had this evening because I wanted to take a picture. The minute that I entered the house, Tim said, "Take a picture of the pie." He didn't even say hello, but I forgive him because the man loves pies.

I bought this enormous box of blueberries at Trader Joe's today and they needed to baked into a pie. I have a few leftover for blueberry pancakes on Saturday. Chilled blueberry soup will also be made on Saturday in honor of our visit to the American Swedish Museum here in Philadelphia. Did you know that Philly had the earliest Swedish immigrants and that chilled blueberry soup is a popular summer treat that's equally welcome as an appetizer or dessert in Sweden? We are going to the museum to check out a Lego exhibit, but we'll take in the other permanent exhibits too.

Okay, the pie. I use the Better Homes and Garden's red plaid cookbook for this recipe. It is the cookbook that everyone should have because it has every basic recipe in it. I like any cookbook that keeps it simple. I have seen it in the bargain bin at Borders. Pick it up if you don't have it already.

2/3 to 3/4
cup sugar
3
tablespoons all-purpose flour
5
cups blueberries
1
tablespoons lemon juice
Milk(optional)
Sugar (optional)

In a large mixing bowl combine the 2/3 to 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir in berries and lemon peel. Gently toss berries until coated. Transfer berry mixture to the pastry-lined pie plate. Cover with rolled-pie crust and flute the edges.

If desired, brush pastry top with a little milk and sprinkle with additional sugar.

To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes more or until top is golden. Cool on wire rack.

No comments: