Saturday, December 04, 2004

"Bells Will Be Ringing"

Things I noticed while ringing the bell for the Salvation Army at the local grocery store...

People are generous. One lady put in a 20 dollar bill! I tried to keep track and an average of 3 out of 5 people put money in the bucket. Plus, at 6 pm, the bucket was plum full with bills and change.

People avoid eye contact if they don't want to put money in the bucket. All I was offering was a smile, a 'Hello', and a constant ringing of the bell, yet some people didn't say 'hello' back.

Sometimes people hug strangers. I never start the hugging, but I was hugged twice for just standing there ringing the bell. Anyone could do it, but two women thought I deserved a hug.

I was called SANTA twice...do I look that big?

The burliest and manliest men put lots of money in the bucket.

People will stop what they are doing even though they look very busy and put money in the bucket...at one point, a woman's cart started to roll away from her and she was too busy looking for change in her purse. Luckily, I grabbed it or it could have been ugly.

Little kids love the bell. Little kids love to put money in the bucket. Little kids love to hear grown-ups say "Merry Christmas" to them.

If you are interested in volunteering with the Salvation Army this Christmas, check out ringbells.org.

No comments: