Monday, April 17, 2006

Diaper Dish

I guess a woman gets to a certain age when her girlfriends become mothers. The same women that I danced until dawn with and the same women that I slept in tents with when we were only fifteen years old are the same women that now have an unlimited amount of insight on diapers.

I don't exaggerate. On an evening out with my maternal girlfriends, they spent fifteen minutes discussing, and at times, debating Huggies to Luvs to Pampers. I found myself in a rare instance where I have nothing to add to the topic. I just sat there and drank my beer. I didn't think I was being rude. I sat there, looked at the friends having this discussion, and finally, I added, "This cannot go on. Not that I am not interested in diapers, but we can find something else to talk about." They all laughed and agreed that we could find something more to discuss.

I think I might have been rude, but with lifelong friends, I think you can be a little rude. We moved on to other topics, some high brow and most of them low brow.

3 comments:

Eyes said...

I don't know what I would have done if I were in your shoes. Probably waited for the conversation to end and went batty in the meantime!!

Good for you for speaking up :)

Rhiannon said...

Love it. You better just hurry up and pop one out so you can participate in the conversation! Totally kidding. It is good for you to remind the girls that some adult conversation not revolving around the little ones is good. I know, I'll be one of "those women" before you know it.

Mathman said...

So which is best--Huggies, Luva, or Pampers?