Saturday, September 15, 2007

31 Years

Well, it is that time of the year again. I like to take my birthday to be reflective and all about me. I blame my mother. Not only did she bring me into this world, but she threw great birthday parties for me.

At 31, I know that I lead a quieter life than most. I do not go out on the town that much. I prefer to be at home with Tim. Rather than go out to eat on Saturday nights, I like to spend the late afternoon cooking something yummy for us and always with a dessert. Friday nights are even quieter with our ritual leftovers from the week and some television.

At 31, I am doing the job that I love to do. I am exhausted each day, but I leave knowing that I have put my all into those kindergarteners. Each day, I stop and get my coffee, drive to work while I listen to the news, and start my day with emails to friends.

At 31, I have a great relationship with my family. They've always respected my choices and my voice. No matter where I move or how far I am from the midwest, I keep those ties tight.

At 31, I have come to understand that you do not need friends less and less as we grow, but more and more. Thankfully, I have found friends who know this is true.

At 31, I am living with the funniest person that I know who accepts me for exactly who I am and never asks for me to change.

5 comments:

Sara Hondl said...

Happy Birthday Sara! I think that our thirties are going to be the best decade yet. Tell Tim it's "your day", you can do whatever you want to do.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a wonderful day! One day, I will be 30 too... and can join the best decade yet!

Enjoy "your day." But don't just wait until your birthday-- remember, any day can be your day! You just have to proclaim it-

Talk to you soon!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Happy belated b-day. Hope you did something fun to celebrate. My mom did b-days right too. This year for Noah's b-day I tried to live up to my mom and make a homemade ark-shaped cake. I am not the homemaker my mom was/is. But it tasted good and that's all that really matters. I love your midwestern rule by the way.
-Rhiannon

patrick | steed said...

happy birthday, chum! i hope by 31 i'm as content as you. of course, turning my life upside down may not help. (go read my blog)

oh, and rachael yamagata is pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday ( a little late)!