Friday, February 04, 2005

Sensitivity

I think my cover has been blown.

I have worked hard from the early age of 15 to convince people know that I am a rock. I am tough. I am not sensitive. I can pinpoint exactly the moment when I became tough...but that is a whole other post.

Over a discussion with my principal, I mentioned that I am not sensitive. He looked straight at me and said, "Yes you are."

WHAT?! How did he know? I was trying my very best to hide this fact from the people that surround me on a daily basis!

I continued the conversation without missing a beat in hopes that he would not notice my shock over his assessment of my sensitivity scale.

Shock has a lot to do with when and where my sensitivity will be displayed. Today, after having a tough few weeks (which were only revealed to a few chums), I received a pick-me-up gift from my pal, Jodi. I got teary-eyed because I wasn't expecting a token of friendship this morning. AHA! You got me, Jodi~I am can be sensitive given the right situation.
Yesterday, I went to the mailbox only to find a burned CD from my dear friend, Sara. She must have known what I needed that day. It was accompanied by a lovely card that expressed exactly what I needed to hear.

My cup spilleth over with love and affection from my friends.

I have the best friends. It is so worth it to build these relationships. They yield the support and love that one tough cookie needs in her time of fluster and frustration. I only hope I can do the same someday when they need me.

2 comments:

firedancerdancin said...

i've often found the "toughest" people on the oustide, are the "softest" on the inside. ;-) sensitivity is cool. at least that's what i tell MYSELF.

and isn't having those days where you know that so many people care about you just fabulous!!?

Queen on the run said...

I tend to think of folks with a tough exterior as oreos,
oreos you say? what the heck? well oreos are hard and crispy and tough on the outside they put up a good front, but on the inside the are soft and pliable and creamy, just like every human being who is not a lunatic serial killer! Okay I wouldn't say that people are creamy on the inside LOL oh how that sounds!
I just mean to say that sensitivity is something that can be revealed if you take off the top or bottom of the oreo!