Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Mini Movie Review: Closer

I watched the movie Closer last night. This might be a small and limited review of the movie, but I thought I would put it out there…

Before I go on, let me say, I liked this movie. It may not seem to be the case after you read on, but I did like the movie. If you have not seen the movie, without giving the plot away, it is about adultery and the enormity of commitment.

The title is deceiving because there wasn't a single relationship in the story that was close. In my opinion, the relationships and choices made by these characters were isolated and detached. With the exception of Natalie Portman’s character, Alice, the characters fell as a casualty to temptation with total disregard for the people in their lives.

It is rare that I watch a movie and I dislike most of the main characters in the film. I couldn’t find sympathy and consideration for people/characters that lack all self-control in their lives. Maybe there was a deeper love between these characters, but I was left wondering since the movie jumped ahead months at a time. I guess as a viewer, I have to either assume that their relationships reached beyond sex and lust and entered that set apart place of reverence and love or believe that these characters were as shallow and naïve as their actions illustrated.

The word love was used so often in the movie, yet the actions shown by the narcissistic characters illustrated nothing but indifference for the ones they claimed to love. The actors must have done a good job for me to dislike them this much. This is not a ‘feel good movie’, but one that will lead to great discussion.

1 comment:

firedancerdancin said...

hi there.

I watched that movie a couple of months ago, and had the same feelings. It's hard to like characters that are so out of control, and have little to no regard for the ones they "love". An interesting point to me was the fact that the only character that showed any SEMBLANCE of self control was the stripper (natalie portman's character).

the other side of the coin was sadly a pretty accurate depiction of relationships now. There's a 50% divorce rate for a reason.

sidenote for you: I'm poor and cannot afford to come home for the reunion. i'm terribly disappointed and wish i had a different answer, but with my place of employment burning to the ground, a 400-500 dollar flight home is just not in the cards.
:-(

all you girls will have to drink one for me and give me a call if you find the time.

*hugs!*