Sunday, June 25, 2006

Forrest, Forrest Gump

Where Tim can watch several movies over and over again, I can watch only a few. Forrest Gump is one of them. It was on TNT tonight and I had no plans on watching television tonight, but he had me at "Mama always says..."

It isn't just the simple Gumpisms that entertain me, but also how much I appreciate how much Forrest loves in his life. Each of his relationships place him in a role of underdog and in each situation, he stands out as the one who knows how to care, respect, and unconditionally love these people. He adores his mother. He is a kindred spirit with Bubba. It doesn't matter to him that Lieutenant Dan doesn't have legs. His love for Jenny never changes, stays unconditional no matter how poor she treats him.

Everytime that he stands over Jenny's grave and tells her about the day she dies and how smart little Forrest has become, I get that familiar lump in my throat and find myself getting the rare tear in my eyes.

Although I have opinions about movies, particularly romantic comedies, and how I don't like cheesy movies, I will always enjoy Forrest Gump for its humor and sentiment even twelve years after its release.

No comments: