Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ms. Mary

I love how music has the ability to catch you off guard.

One minute you think a song is as good as it is going to be. It is already a really fantastic song. Then someone comes along and covers that song and it becomes something I could never imagine it being...even better! This is how I feel about U2's One. An already perfect song and then, Ms. Mary J. Blige comes along and covers it.

I am going to go ahead and say it is the best thing I have heard in a long time. I am not sure what it is about her. I don't even own any of her CDs, but everytime I see her perform on television, I am completely entranced. I remember watching an awards show a few years back when she performed No More Drama. It was so much more than a song. To me, it seems like she is always telling a story.

Covers are a funny thing. I think we like them because we know them, yet covers rarely match the original if ever excede the original, but One does this.

No comments: