Friday, June 16, 2006

Oldies

As Tim and I sat at the baseball game on Tuesday night, the huge television screen showed three songs that the fans could cheer for to hear during the eighth inning.

  • You Shook Me All Night Long by AC/DC
  • Dance, Dance by Fall Out Boy
  • Red, Red Wine by UB40
After the third song was revealed, the 12 year old boy in front of us says to his buddy, "They always pick a few oldies".

Oldies?

Well, this idea was affirmed about 30 miles into Iowa. We were listening to the radio when we enjoyed Fame by David Bowie and Little Red Corvette by Prince. After the songs, the DJ came on to inform us that we were listening to the best OLDIES station in Iowa. Huh? I thought oldies meant The Beach Boys and Elvis. I remember listening to the OLDIES with my parents during our car rides and they were songs from the 50's and 60's.

I guess this makes sense because that was in the 80's. So, we were listening to songs from 20 years ago or more. Now, amazing as it seems, the 80's is 20 years ago. I listen to the OLDIES.

No comments: