Monday, June 12, 2006

Wicked


Along with having the fantastic opportunity to head to New York City for a day trip, a person has to make choices because you can't fit it all in. There is just too much to do. Thank goodness it will always be there. It never gets old for me.

I had only one thing on my mind...for over a year. We headed to the Gershwin Theatre to see Wicked on Friday night. About a year ago, I had checked out the book
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire from the library, but I wasn't quick enough. I had to return it to the library because more patrons wanted to read it before I finished it. Then, like many other things in life, I forgot about this little gem of the literary world.

Then, I was watching this program on PBS where
Kristin Chenoweth sang "For Good". I loved the song and did some quick internet research to find out that it was from the musical Wicked. I started listening to the cast recording of the entire show that was loosely based on Maguire's book.

Thankfully, I was able to do some longterm planning to go to the city this weekend and see the show. The story of friendship and tough choices
exceeded my expectations and I loved every minute. I am always impressed when the music, the lyrics, and the story leave a person with their very own connection to stories that were considered complete at one point and it extends that connection into a whole new understanding of a story.

4 comments:

MamaMarci said...

My neice saw "Wicked" in April - she, too, thought it was wonderful. Even though I don't like the Wizard of Oz at all, I actually thought I might like this, based on her comments (and now yours!).

Anonymous said...

My husband and I went to see Wicked in Chicago last week. We loved it. It was fun to be in the city for a few days, but also fun to be back in our small town, relaxing in the garden and watching the neighbors put up a play set for their little daughter. Life is good in small-town America.

patrick | steed said...

my roommate and his family went to see it in atlanta a couple of weeks ago and said it was awesome. i'm totally jealous that you got to go to NYC. i misses that place.

Anonymous said...

i saw wicked for the first time when it was on tour and feel totally in love with it. it's like the greatest show ever! except for Rent. love that too. :) i'm like totally obsessed with Kristin Chenoweth now because of her portrayal of Glinda. I love Idina Menzel too. Although, i wont mention names, but a girl i know is idina's absolute #1 fan. go wicked. defy gravity. woohoo. beware of the evil penguins...