Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Insomnia Insecurities

A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor's book.
~Irish Proverb
I can manage the good laugh, but the long sleep is the problem. Never in my life have I suffered from insomnia. I love to rest, relax, and rejuvinate. In the past two weeks, I have not had a decent nights sleep.
I have come up with a few reasons or theories. First, I could be working on some nerves since school has started. This would work with the insomnia timeline, but I have never had school anxiety or nerves before. There is less to be worried about this school year than any other school year since I had the same children last year. I have even lessened my work load with the release of certain committees.
My other thoughts are not necessarily a reason, but more of a theory. Maybe I am having a goods night sleep...just not by my standards. I have been getting about 6 and a half hours of sleep. Usually, I get eight and a half hours of sleep during working months. What is it that doctors say is healthy? Six? Whatever it is, I feel like I am not getting my "regular" sleep.
I used to have and share a cure for insomnia. I would say wisely, "Just think of the color black. It always works for me." Well, it always did. Not anymore. My senior year of college, I had the best bed. It was just a little twin without a headboard. It was right next to three big windows. The ledges worked as perfect bookstands. I slept the best in that bed. I even looked forward to going to bed everynight. My roommate Jill and I would be in our room doing homework or whatever. I would say, "Jill, let's go to bed." She would say, "Alright." For seniors in college, you'd think that we'd be out on the town, but no. It was usually about 10:15. The same bed time that I have kept for the last five years during working nights.
I don't just lay in bed and doze off. I have to get up because just laying there just gets me annoyed that I am not enjoying some sleep. SO, I get up and play scrabble, read some news, or read a book. I have heard that the older you get, a person either needs more sleep or less sleep. Maybe I am entering an age where I need less sleep. I don't seem to be tired during the day even though some rude co-workers have said, "You look tired." What a horrible thing to say to someone. You know you don't look good when someone says that. They might as well say, "You look like garbage today."

No comments: