Thursday, November 04, 2004

Odds and Ends

Don't give up on me...I have been super busy with parent-teacher conferences and of course, the election.

The other day, I was walking in the hall at my school when I saw a line of first graders. One little girl was wearing her tye-died American flag t-shirt since it was election day. The children were actually standing in line to cast their school ballots. I bent down to compliment her and this is how the conversation went...

Ms. Sara: Wow! I really like that tye-died American flag t-shirt.

First Grader: Who? Me? (Big Smile)

Ms. Sara: Yes, you. I like how it looks like a flag.

First Grader: I love you.

It was the best. It made my day all day. She wasn't ashamed or embaressed to ooze with affection or kind words. The kids around her didn't think this was a strange response to my compliment either. Every once in awhile I get the payoffs that come with being a teacher.

On a different note, I thought I had sworn off reality television this fall, but like any junkie, one taste and you are hooked...again. Last night, I tuned into PBS where they had a dating reality show called Regency House Party. The concept is like any other dating show, but the participants must adhere to strict Regency (1811-1820) dating rituals. The participants are also given roles in society which will effect their interaction with certain people...you know, money and priviledge and the working class, nouveau riche. Like all reality shows, some people get into it and some do not. I loved Pioneer Life and Colonial Life, so this is a new twist on the historical reality shows that might actually teach a viewer something.

2 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

That show sounds interesting.

Yankeebob said...

I love the quote from the little girl. It's good to hear a nice story from a school system. In this area (Baltimore) all you hear is negativity. Lately the kids have taken to setting fires in the schools as some kind of hobby. Weird.

I admire those of you who have chosen to be teachers. It's much tougher, I think, than when I was in school.

I'm going to have to check out the show you wrote about. Sounds interesting.