Saturday, April 07, 2007

Spring Awakening


As I write this, I feel the urge to tell you that I am by NO MEANS a Broadway show expert or critic. My experience with musicals and plays are limited to my own performance in The Pirate of Penzance in the 10th grade and a few shows during trips to New York City. These shows were the big, flashy types. I have seen Hairspray, Wicked, and The Producers on Broadway, but after this week, I have a new category of musical.

I saw Spring Awakening with my friend Kecia. I had heard several things about this show prior to arriving in NYC. Zach Braff had written about this show on his blog. I had read about the show in a news magazine, but what I remembered was that the music was written by Duncan Sheik. I am a fan. He wrote "Barely Breathing", but so many more great songs after that radio-recognized tune.

Right away, I knew this musical was different than the rest because some of the audience was sitting on the stage along with the band. It was a band because the music has a definite pop feeling to it. The actors used microphones in their hands as they sang songs that sounded more appropriate for the radio today rather than the setting of early 20th century Germany. The play is based on Frank Wedekind's play about adolescents discovering their sexuality and the repressed nature of the society of the time.

This musical is not for the easily embarrassed or timid when it comes to viewing sexually graphic art. Along with some mild nudity, there are a couple other scenes that might make an audience member blush.

Although some will find flaws in Spring Awakening, I am going to say that I like it. I like the topic of the story. I liked the music. If I had to say anything negative, it would be that the lyrics were a bit vague at times. However, I never wrote a Broadway musical. Who am I? I was just a chorus girl in Pirates of Penzance!

No comments: