Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Whoa...Deep

I have been pretty busy lately. Tonight is the first time that I feel that I can indulge my self-absorbed nature and write. On Sunday, I spent six hours at school working on report cards and packing my room. I am the type of teacher that NEVER goes in on the weekend. I would rather stay late and go early before going in on the weekend. I think it all stems from my first year where I did nothing but hang out in my classroom.

Last night, I fell asleep watching a movie called Guerilla: The Taking of Patty Hearst on IPTV. This might reveal my ultra-nerd side, but I was mad at myself for falling asleep during this movie because I had been looking forward to it, but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

Okay, now you know a little about where I have been the past three days.

I have two and a half days left of school. I can't believe it. My time at this Iowa school has gone so fast. My three years in Iowa have been good to me. If you plan on reading this blog over the summer, you can expect several thoughtful posts about my love of Iowa and how I will miss this corn loving state.

The students that I have this year in fourth grade, I had the same students last year when I taught third grade. So, in two and a half days I will say good-bye to the 25 ten year olds that I have spent 360 days teaching, working, laughing, and sometimes disciplining. Saying good-bye is part of teaching. We do what we can for the children when they are in our care and we send them on hoping that they can recall a smidge of learning from third and fourth grade.

When I think about it, I hope they can recall and use the tools of character more than math and reading. I hope they are kind and nice and caring and strong and brave. That is all I ask. If they can all walk out my door and be those five simple things, I will feel successful.

1 comment:

Dree said...

You only have 2 1/2 days left? I'm so jealous.

It's not always hard to leave a school... it's leaving the kids that's the hard part.