Friday, March 09, 2007

Do You Do This Too?

I feel the need to do a little experiment...

Since music still works as my own little mental time machine, I thought I would take the Midwestern Position's Friday ipod Shuffle and see where it takes me.

Fallen-Storyhill
If you went to a college or university in the midwest during the 90's and you took advantage of the free entertainment at your school's student union, you might have experienced Storyhill or what they used to be called, Chris & Johnny. I was not a die hard fan, but I would take in a show or borrow a friend's CD. They are your basic whiny guys on guitar.

Holding Out for a Hero Bonnie Tyler
Even though I could go way back to my days as a child renting Footloose over and over again from the local video store, instead, I will go to the chair races of my school in Iowa. Even though I did not take part in last year's race, I was proud of my friend who chose this inspirational tune as her chair racing song.


Busta Move
Young MC
I wasn't even there for this memory, but I can't help but think of my best friend in the eighth grade and how her boyfriend stole this cassette and gave it to her. All I remember is when she told me this and I was shocked, but a little glad too. Now, we could listen to it.

Neon John Mayer
I had just worked my last day in Grand Forks, closed up shop on the little trailer where I taught the third grade and needed a mini-vacation. I was stressed out because I was moving to Iowa and didn't have a job. I loaded up the CD player in "The GOLD" and headed to Minneapolis. I listened to the John Mayer CD over and over. I was so happy to be in a secluded place for five hours completely by myself. Well, John Mayer was there too.


Running on Empty Jackson Browne
I have no memory to this song. The only thing that I think about when I hear this song is when Forrest Gump is run-nin'.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Thanks for the shout out. And for mentioning my "why did I date him?" ex-boyfriend. The worst part is that it took me twice to figure it out.

RJ