Friday, March 09, 2007

Names

As you know, I am not a mom. Most of my friends are moms. Some have one little one and some max out at four little ones. Tim and I are beyond the point when people ask us when we will have a baby, which is nice. However, I like to think of baby names even if I am no where near having a baby.

Now, to normalize this obsession, I have decided to name a few objects that I hold near and dear to my heart.

I was never one to be creative with car names. For example, my Chevy Celebrity that drove me all over Grand Forks from 1992-2000 was simply named "The Celeb". It was a catchy name. It caught on with the passengers. Well, my simple name tradition continues. We have two cars, "The GOLD" and "The BLUE". I drive "The BLUE" most of the time, however, I will always hold a special place for "The GOLD" since it was my first NEW NEW car.


Whoa...this post is starting to look a little materialistic.

I don't care. I love my crap.

What you are seeing is my very first brand NEW NEW computer that wasn't handed down or something that I had to share with anyone. I could fill it up with whatever I wanted. It is a slick machine and so deserving of it's name, APPLE. I guess Gwyneth and I have the same taste in names.

If you are a long time reader of this blog, you might recall when I had the sidebar attraction, "Obsession of the Week". Well, my rainbow mug was the first obsession. I like this mug for many reasons. First, my friend gave it to me and I like to think of that. Also, it is perfect. It holds the right amount of coffee without it getting cold when I get to the bottom. (I can drink hot liquids mighty fast!) When I open my cupboard to choose a mug, I feel disappointed when I have to use the plain plum colored mugs because MUG is gone. Yes, it's name is MUG. Nice and simple, but I know which mug I mean.

This naming strategy could be a problem. I mean, I wouldn't want to be like my friend who has a girl cat and named her GIRL CAT, GC for short. If I had a son someday, I wouldn't want to name it BOY. I think I can be more creative with my names. I am going to work on this and I will start with a new name for computer. Any suggestions.

1 comment:

shelly said...

your computer's new name is "Wellington". i like it. (but its nickname is "Flash" cause it's so shiny and new. only its closest friends call it that). my computer is not shiny or new so we shall dub him Roger.

p.s. if you want to move at a comfortable pace away from the simple naming process, you could call your cars "Cyan" and "Car-MEL".