Sunday, January 28, 2007

Oh, I Do That Too

I guess it would be safe to say that I go through phases with music. A few years ago, I was really into John Denver. However, all the music that I had was on my old computer (two computers ago) and it didn't transfer to this new computer. Today, I downloaded "Rocky Mountain High".

I love this song.

"Comin' home to a place he'd never been before
He left yesterday behind him, you might say he was born again
You might say he found a key for every door"

Hmm...I think we'll go with this. I love music for 70% lyric and 30% melody. I know that is insulting to the musicians of the world, but I just really like a good turn of a phrase. For example, "Cannonball" by Damien Rice.

"there’s still a little bit of your taste in my mouth
there’s still a little bit of you laced with my doubt
it’s still a little hard to say what's going on"

Good stuff.

However, there are songs that must MUST have the melody to make the lyrics powerful. "Bell Bottom Blues" by Eric Clapton is such a song. It isn't just the lyric or the song, but his voice sounds as if he is dying, but in the good way. The good way that makes you believe that he is desperate for this woman to take him back.

"Do you want to see me crawl across the floor to you?
Do you want to hear me beg you to take me back?
I’d gladly do it because
I don’t want to fade away.
Give me one more day, please."

Oh, Heck! Why don't you just listen to it for yourself on my new Midwestern Podcast!

1 comment:

Carm said...

I'm loving the podcast... I might need some tech lessons, Sara!