Monday, February 19, 2007

Supernanny to the Rescue

I love that Supernanny. Maybe it is that I do not have children of my own, but everything she says seems to make so much sense to me. I know that teaching is very different than having your own children, but I have been in power struggles before with kids and kids always win.

There are always two types of parents on Supernanny. The parent who enters the power struggle and wants to win and will behave badly to win and the parent who simply has given up. The Supernanny comes in and takes the blame off of the children and show the parents their role in the chaos.

I wonder what parents think of this show. Maybe I am naive to think this show is helpful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a childless person who also always love the Supernanny's techniques. I want her to spend an entire episode visiting my neighborhood haunts, teaching parents that my coffee shop is not their child's romper room. I really do love kids, but I don't love parents who think it's ok that their kid is hitting me when I'm studying.

(and also ten strollers packed into a narrow coffee shop aisle equals a fire hazard)

amy

Anonymous said...

I have a child and I think her techniques are cool. But my child isn't old enough to be disciplined really, so I'll have to wait and see if they work. I think they require a great deal of patience, not one of my virtues.

Rhiannon