Sunday, February 05, 2012

A Very Good Chance of Meatballs

I am the kind of person who obsesses.  It doesn't take much for me to start hemming and hawing over something of no consequence.  Today, it is meatballs.

I made homemade meatballs for the first time over Christmas.  The recipe came from my Grandma Mabel.  When I think about her, my mind goes to the Friday nights that we would arrive at her house and we would be served meatballs in a beef gravy with riced potatoes.  It was a food that my mother did not make and it seemed like such an exotic meal to me, yet I always looked forward to it.

So, in my attempt to try new recipes, I decided to give it a go.  They were good, but not as great as I had remembered.  Maybe it was the gravy, but it really was something else.  I was not sitting around Grandma's oval table with the swivel orange chairs.  I was not wondering if there would be rectangle cookies for dessert.  I was not watching my Grandpa take a very, very long time to prepare his plate while the rest of us were already on meatball number three.

Thankfully, I did not give up on the meatball.  I cooked up some amazing Swedish Meatballs from skinnytaste.com.  The secret is you cook the meatballs in beef broth.  Brilliant!  It keeps them from drying out.  Next meatball moment will be asian style meatballs!

I am starting to be embarrassed by how many times I have discussed meatballs with people this week... but here I am...writing about meatballs on a Saturday night.



No comments: