Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Not too Blue

I realize this picture is quite dramatic. Trust me, I am not in the depths of despair or feeling as heartbroken as this woman.

I came home from work tonight and I was blue. I just found myself in a bit of a occupational funk.

The details are truly too boring to go into so I will spare you, but know this...I can only tolerate myself for about two hours when I feel this way. I have to find a way to get myself out of this blue stage or I am totally sick of my own self.

There are several things that I have found always make me feel better. First, I cannot listen to my usual self-reflective music choices like Indigo Girls, Iron & Wine, or Simon and Garfunkle. They are just too sad. I need something that will inspire every color but blue! I turned to my itunes. To date, I have 1271 songs to choose from. I threw that bad boy on shuffle and hoped for the best.

My itunes work a bit like a magic eight ball. I sit down, turn up the volume on the computer, and the music starts to shuffle. I skip all the downer songs so you can just forget about James Taylor or Sarah McLaughlin, normal favorites. The following list of songs are a big part of getting my mood out of the dump and into its normal Sara atmosphere...

"Let's Call the Whole Thing Off" by Harry Connick, Jr.
"You Should Be Dancing" by The Bee Gees
"Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye
"Beat It" by Michael Jackson
"Linus and Lucy"...yes, the Peanuts Theme...I like it.
"Mamma Mia" by Abba

Music is a funny thing. It can really do a number on you...both positive and negative. When I listen to too much folky, singer/songwriter music, I can get too hyper-self-reflective. So, to balance it out, I need some bubble gum pop from the 70's or 80's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who thinks the cover to your current Amazon Recommendation bears an uncanny resemblence to Amy?