Friday, December 30, 2005

Just Say No

See this? This right here is the last time you will see me eating McDonalds until 2007.

I have made a promise to myself to not touch the stuff in the year 2006. There are many reasons for such a bold committment. First, I want to acknowledge that Wes, a high school pal, told me that he had not had McDonalds in 2005 when I saw him at the high school reunion. Wow. I was impressed with his abstinence from the golden arches. It didn't occur to me until Tim and I started discussing what we could change in order to be healthier human beings. I said, "We should stop eating at McDonalds." Tim was not interested in this venture, but I recalled Wes and his decision to not eat McDonalds in 2005. Right then and there in the airport, I declared 2006 a McDonalds free year!

In nine months, I will be thirty years old. I would like to be as healthy as I possibly can be. This means so much more than a weight thing. This means that I will drink eight glasses of water a day. This means that I will do my yoga to help with my chronic hip and joint issues. This means that I will walk on my treadmill five days a week. This means I will go to bed at a reasonable time rather than stay up late to do nothing important. This means...no McDonalds.

You might be asking, "Why McDonalds? You could just go to Burger King." Actually, I couldn't. In my neighborhood, we only have a McDonalds. It is not one of those places that have fast food joint after joint. So, if I take this one thing out of the equation, it is not even an option for me.

2 comments:

Dree said...

Be strong! You can do it!

I only eat fast food maybe once a month, and it's usually Wendy's. But every now and then I get a huge craving for a Mickey D's Quarter Pounder. Mmmm... I just might have to pick one up this weekend...

Anonymous said...

An old co-worker of mine had a 15 year old daughter that gave up chocolate for a year - just to see if she could do it (she loved chocolate). I thought she was very wise for her years...