Friday, May 19, 2006

Flip Floppin

I have long been an opponent to the flip flop. Maybe it was fear of the strap between my toes. Maybe it was the fact that there just isn't a lot of shoe there. I think more than anything it was the fact that there seemed to be a lot of decisions with the flip flop. Do I get the plastic ones? Do I get bedazzled ones? Do I get sporty ones? I just didn't want to make a flip flop decision. I kept flip-flopping on my flip flops.

But fate takes a hand in most of my shopping decisions. I was downtown last Saturday when I was caught in a downpour with my friend Amy and a cute little pair of canvas shoes. Canvas and rain are a recipe for disgusting. So, we wandered around until we found a store that could offer a pair of shoes that would be cheap, but rain friendly. This led me to the flip flops. Thank goodness I had Amy with me to guide my flip flop decision. She advised me to get a pair with cloth rather than plastic. I choose the green pair you see before you.

To my surprise, I have been enjoying the flip flop ever since.

8 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

I am a flip-flopp'n bare-foot kind-of-girl lol. I love them!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I could help you discover the joy of the flip flop. Now you know to always stay away from the plastic straps. Enjoy! a

p.s. I love all the play I'm getting on your blog. I'm going to have to visit Philly more often.

Unknown said...

I, too, hated the flop--more as a kid. But, when I rediscovered them last summer, I lamented the years of ignorance! Rhiannon is so right about the filthy feet, though...oh well, it's a sacrifice worth making.

Me said...

I can't live without em :)

Anna said...

Good choice! Flip-Flopping is important in these summer months. Coincidentally, as demonstrated at last years installment of Christmas Eve, Flip-Flopping can also be used to describe the word "vacillate" during Catch Phrase.

Anonymous said...

Growing up these were called thongs. At some point in my life they bacame flip flops. Sometimes change is good. In this case, it's not.

Anonymous said...

I am disappointed in you Sara. You are so tough in so many areas of you life, I can't believe a flip flop would be a weakness. You know my thoughts on shoes. You wear them because they are cute, no matter how bad the pain. If need be, you rotate cute ones one day and give your feet a break the next with a comfy pair. But you will be better off someday as I will have fallen arches, pulled calf muscles, etc. But I had some damn cute shoes in my lifetime.

firedancerdancin said...

why did the "thong" turn into the flip-flop? Is the word "thong" in reference to a shoe and not underwear a midwestern thing?

Strange, but it seems everyone feels the same way about flip-flops. I hated them as a youngin. The thing between my toes was awful.

Perhaps the necessity of flip-flops because of my location in the US has changed my mind, but I now cannot live WITHOUT my flip-flops.