Wednesday, July 14, 2004

A New Music Obsession


I am a music junky. And the public library is my corner dealer. I went to check out some books and became distracted by the CD checkout. It was an audio feast where I could choose from jazz to country. I added the predictable CDs to my pile, but one of the reasons that I love checking out music from the library is the risk taking. I like to add CDs that I am unfamiliar with into my pile. I went home without a book, but with plenty of CDs. I put in a new CD and had a moment of obsession that I sometimes have. I loved what I was hearing. Eva Cassidy's Songbird was exactly what I love in music. Her raspy voice sang haunting and emotionally charged songs. Here version of "Some Where Over the Rainbow" and a song called "I Know You By Heart" were repeated several times this afternoon. At that moment, I had to research everything I could about this artist. Why had I not heard of this woman before this? Go to your library and check her CD out.  Posted by Hello

2 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

Wow, how sad, a good talented voice and she died so young of Melanoma. Life can be so unfair. I find that so depressing. I really like the way she sings "Fields of Gold". I think I'd cry a lot listening to her...

Eyes for Lies said...

If only Ruralville had a library that let me check out CDs. They are still stuck in 1950!

However, where I grew up outside of Chicago, they check out music even back when I was a kid -- and I, too, loved checking out music back in high school. It was awesome!