Monday, March 28, 2005

Fondue is the New Black


"Isn't fondue what they used to do in the 70's?"
-My Principal

Absolutely! And like everything from the 1970's, fondue is one of the groovier obsessions that I tend to hold onto! True, for most of the 70's, I was just a twinkle in my parents' eye, but it seems to have cultivated a special admoration in my mind.

My introduction to fondue came far later than the 70's in 1995 when my friend Amy had a small fondue party at her house. I dipped for the first time. It was a wine and cheese sauce that showed me a whole new way to eat bread.

Unfortunately, I only registered for one fondue pot when I got married. Big mistake. Huge. Now, I advise all brides to register for at least three fondue pots because they will want to fondue cheese, meat, and dessert. Even though they may only break out the fondue pot once a year, or in some cases, every ten years, it will be worth it.

Dessert was the highlight of my Saturday evening. At The Melting Pot restaurant, I enjoyed cheese, meat, and dessert fondue, yet the dessert was very special. The S'more fondue was dark chocolate, marshmallow cream, and graham cracker bits which enveloped bananas, strawberries, brownies, pound cake, graham covered marshmallows, and pineapple. Our second chocolate (because one is never enough) was a dark chocolate with Bailey's Irish Cream mixed in for something special. Again...so good.

Fondue is a lot like that other shameful 1970's creation, DISCO MUSIC...everyone loves it, but no one admits it.

2 comments:

Dree said...

THE MELTING POT!!! Fondue was my food obsession last year. Love, love, love it! My parents got a fondue pot for their wedding (32 years ago), and they never use it. I'm going to confiscate it and have swanky, sophisticated fondue parties.

Eyes for Lies said...

I love fondue. I'll admit it -- I love oil fondue with meat. Yum!