Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Hang on...It's a Deep One Tonight!

"I am not afraid of storms for I am learning how to sail my ship."
-Louisa May Alcott
I am not sure how many of my readers pay attention to my QUOTE OF THE WEEK, but it is something that I try to relate to my life. I know that it is one of the cheesiest things about me, but I find comfort and empathy in these words from the past. The comfort comes from the idea that I am not the first, nor will I be the last to experience and feel certain emotions and fears.
It could be that I am searching for my own words on a daily basis to express my journey right here on this blog, yet I find myself drawn to the words of others tonight.
Tonight, Louisa is telling me a few things...
  • Those around me, teach me. I think it is for this reason that I am so saddened to be leaving my friends from Iowa. They've taught and enriched me. Iowa came at a time in my life when I needed to learn. I needed to be asked to reach beyond what I had known to be true.
  • As I was taught, I hope I taught. Did I ask those around me to reach beyond themselves? Did I ask them to see beyond their front door?
  • I am a believer that most things happen to us because our life choices have led us to these events. Along with that, I believe that I have lived a charmed life where I have had no physical or family struggles to overcome, so I have not encountered any 'storms'. Whenever I start to feel fearful or nervous about my next big step, I think of those who have struggled and shown such honor and grace. So, even without the storms, I would like to think that I am still learning.
Thanks for letting me indulge my deep thoughts for the moment. Go ahead. Comment.

No comments: