- Iowans love BREADED PORK TENDERLOINS! Maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember ever having this Iowa delicacy as a choice at almost every restrauant in North Dakota or Minnesota. The meat is half a size larger than the actual bun that it is served upon. Iowans discuss in length where to get the best, biggest, juiciest tenderloin. Big ups to the Pork T!
- College Football is King! I came from a place where only professional sports were considered important with the slight exception of UND hockey. Here, you are categorized into two distinct and equally loved/hated higher ed mascots. You are either a Cyclone or a Hawkeye. Choose wisely.
- Sweet Corn can be a meal all by itself! On every corner during this special time of summer, vendors are happy to provide you with the best tasting corn you'll ever eat. This corn is so much better than anything you would buy in a grocery store. Mmmm...peaches and cream corn. Delicious.
- Convenience Stores sell the BEST fountain pop! Did you know that you can get 44 ounces of sparkling, bubbly Diet Coke from the fountain machine for a mere 69 cents! What a deal! Iowa's convenience stores are so nice. They are clean, kept, and have everything. They are huge too. They are everywhere, on every other street corner you might find a Kum and Go or QT. I love them and will miss them.
- You can buy anything at a HYVEE Grocery Store! Anything. IF you need a porch swing, HYVEE. If you need a dress tie on your way to church, stop off at the HYVEE! Once cannot move to Iowa and not fall madly, deeply in love with the local HYVEE.
- Iowans NOW Love Karaoke TOO! In the course of my tenure in Iowa, three more karaoke joints have popped up in or around Ankeny. True, I have not converted everyone, but one by one, they are drawn to the microphone. I know when I return, there will be a KARAOKE REVOLUTION happening in Iowa!
- Humidity vs. Iowans...I place my coin down on the side of Iowans. The deep, sticky, and somewhat evil humidity that plagues this state does not keep Iowans inside. Iowans have their famous Iowa State Fair in the middle of hot August...and they like it.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
Posted by Sara at 5:04 PM