Tuesday, January 04, 2005

I am knee deep in weather related denial

I am just not sure that I am buying it.

The local media likes nothing better than to get their panties in a ruffle over weather extremities…PLEASE! They discuss snow accumulation and send their overly animated reporters wearing their stations winter gear out in the snow to report…guess what…it is still snowing. They talk, ramble, and fester-on about the possibility of 10-12 inches. I doubt it. Never…and I mean NEVER, have their predictions ever been right when it comes to winter weather related news.

Ed Wilson, the weather man, is now becoming a bit of a gambler. He has put his money where his mouth is. If he is wrong, he will give away a brand new snowmobile. I have no need for this since I do live in a basement apartment, but I am signing up anyway. I would like nothing better than to tell Ed Wilson, “I told you so.”

So, try as they might, I am not biting. I am not going to get my hopes up for another snow day to have to wake up to my alarm rather than the phone ringing with my pal, Ryan, on the other end telling me to go back to bed.

On an entirely different note, I had this $20 gift card to Target. I thought about buying a new CD, but I would buy that with or without the gift card. I thought about buying a new shirt, but I am not buying new clothes until I lose at least 15 pounds…11 more to go. I thought about buying a DVD, but I rarely ever rewatch them. So, I bought make-up brushes and some bronzer.

WHAT? Sara is wearing make-up? Sara is using more beautification product than just the standard brown mascara and chapstick?

Yes, it is true. Along with my list of NEW ME Resolutions, using make-up on a more regular basis is one of them. Do you think this lame? Do you think this vain? I don’t know.

I am not quite sure where this idea came from, but it has been lingering in my mind for some time. I would never go over board because I am still getting over my sophomore year in high school when the captain of my cheerleading squad who happen to be Miss Teen North Dakota suggested in her not-so-subtle way, “Ummm…maybe you should put some makeup on?!” Then I saw it, the look of a vulture approaching its prey…she saw a makeover canidate in me and there was no where to run because my only means of transportation was the big yellow bus. She colored me with make-up to the point I looked like a two-bit and wanted to crawl under a bleacher and die.

So, be assured. I will not go overboard and I will try my best to not look like a two bit.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I really should be grading calculus tests, but it's so tough when I'm anticipating another day off. I told my algebra students that they better have their homework done tomorrow and that I didn't want to hear as an excuse that they thought we'd have a snow day. So, I suppose I better get to work myself.

Dree said...

Ha! Make-up! Yeah, on a good day, it's foundation and maybe lip gloss, which starts on me and ends up on my coffee mug. Then it's chapstick all the way, baby. :)