Monday, January 03, 2005

A Strong Woman

I remember where I was when I first learned of Shirley Chisholm. I was driving north on Interstate 35 to Minneapolis. Tim and I were listening to NPR. It was an interview with a documentary film director who had created a movie about Shirley Chisholm and her 1972 Presidential campaign.

There were interviews with Shirley Chisholm and through these interviews, I learned that she was the first African-American woman elected to the House of Representatives in 1968. Can you imagine? Not only was this citizen doing her civic duty, but being a role model for two minorities rarely given a chance in that era in the political arena.

Shirley Chisholm passed away on Saturday. Thankfully, the movie Chisholm '72: Unbought and Unbossed by Shola Lynch exists to show people about Shirley. I don't know much more than what I heard on that interview, but I know I'd like to know more about this woman. I think I will watch this documentary.

No comments: