Monday, January 24, 2005

January

I am knee deep in the January BLAHS. You know them...no good holidays to look forward to. I didn't have a proper day off in January. I can't plan to go anywhere because the weather won't agree with you. Sure, it is nice all week and the weekend comes and it snows. DRAT.

I know that I am not the only one to experience this. However, I am not in the depths of despair. I have some bright spots. I have the school Christmas party this Friday. That should be fun. Last year, we went to the Crow's Nest, a local bar, that is attached to a lube station. It has some flavor. I saw my first official bar fight there with tables being tossed and shirts being ripped off to ensure full testostrone strength. We sang some karaoke. It was great. Well, people are saying it is in the cards again because we started a great tradition.

I bought a new CD which always makes me happy. They are small, but make me so content. I purchased Gavin DeGraw. Even better was the discovery that it was a bonus CD with a live version of the complete album...FREE. Now, I can listen in my classroom and in the car.

I went to a movie, In Good Company, tonight. It was terrific. I like those types that move slowly, some humor, some story, and very little action. The music was great and I will probably purchase the soundtrack.

So, I guess things aren't so JANUARY after all.

2 comments:

Dree said...

Yeah, January IS kinda blah. It's all gray and dreary and cold. Makes you wish for spring in the worst way. The Christmas party sounds like it'll be a good time. I could use something like that right about now.

firedancerdancin said...

(sings) I don't wanna be anything other than what i've been tryin to be lately...(/sings)

Ah, gavin. Don't have his cd, but he definitely fits into my "whiney boy with a guitar(or piano, or microphone)" repertoire. I had a night of "melanie music" last night. Matt Nathanson (you'll have him on your mix i'm making ya...), Howie Day (the old stuff...the new stuff is kinda overproduced in my opinion....), Dave Matthews (of course) and to throw in some northern flavor, a cd from www.peppermintcds.com (chris and johnny {storyhill} still make me smile.)

HEY! if you ever stop by a barnes and noble store, go to the periodicals sections and look for the magazine "Paste". It's my favorite. It's a little more expensive than a regular magazine, but comes with a KICK ASS mixed cd with all up and coming artists and new music, so for only like $6.00 you get around 22 new songs and a great magazine devoted to music! I've found quite a few of my favorite "new music" from that mag.

And keep your wits about ya when you go to the christmas party, cause no one wants their skirt torn off. Aim for the groin. ;-)