Sunday, August 21, 2005

To be a Freshman Again...

Tim and I went to Villanova's campus today to check our email since we do not have internet at home now...not until August 30. Ouch.

Anyway, we saw all of the new students in little groups gathered for orientation. As we walked across campus and saw the leaders all in matching shirts, we both remembered how much we didn't enjoy the orientation process. Maybe things are different now, but all I remember is the pressure to meet new friends and meet the opposite sex. That is just not how I work when it comes to making friends. Thank goodness we didn't see the students doing the human knot...you know the one where they make you grab hands with strangers that you would never normally hold hands with and get yourself untangled. There was usually a bossy person that would direct the human knot and you'd just be left feeling dirty, not more trusted by these strangers.

I understand the importance of orientation activities. Most of these students are away from home for the first time and maybe feeling vulnerable. This morning, we just watched and felt relieved that we were not part of the trust/team building that was going on. These leaders were also singing songs and doing cheers. As an 18 year-old, I am not sure how cool I would think that was, but maybe times have changed. It has been a good ten years since I was in their shoes. The funny part about the cheers and songs was that the freshman girls were singing and dancing and the dudes, well, they were dudes. They just stood there and watched the girls jump up and down and sing the songs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am one of those Villanova Freshman and let me tell you times have not changed. Very few of us thought the cheers were cool. Orientation is a time of pressure to meet new friends and the opposite sex.The whole process was not my idea of a good time but it's just a rite of passage every freshman must face.
-Christina
Villanova c/o 2005