Saturday, August 21, 2004

Behind the Times in Television


I used to think that living in North Dakota was an excuse for being behind the times, pop-culture and fashion wise. So, what excuse can I use for the fact that I just started watching the television show "Six Feet Under "? I have seen this show up for Emmys. I have heard water-cooler discussions about it, yet I have missed two full seasons of this show.

Until the other day when I went to the video store to rent a video to watch while I walked on the treadmill. I went to the television section and it caught my eye. My friend, Amy, has shared her love and I trust her taste. She was right.

This is the type of show that a person gets connected to. The characters are deep and complex. The setting and situations are real, but unfamilar to me. I am hooked. I love the feeling of getting hooked. It happens very easily for me. I felt it with The Sopranos, numerous Law & Orders, and the PBS reality shows like Pioneer Quest and Colonial House . For me, it is the characters that I become attached to. It is a little bizarre, but I think about them during the day. I also love talking about my television shows just like I like to talk about movies and books. Since Tim has pretty high standards for television, I know "Six Feet Under" is something special because he will sit down and watch it. I was only able to rent episodes one through three and can't wait until tomorrow to get the rest. It actually makes me want to get on the treadmill.
Posted by Hello

No comments: