Saturday, August 14, 2004

Life's a Beach

Today, Tim and I went to the beach.

Yes, they have a beach in Iowa. It was at a little state park about 25 minutes from town. It started out great. We packed a nice lunch in my new lunchbox. We brought a large enough blanket. We even remembered our SPF 45. As we walked from our car to the beach, we soon realized that the beach was not clean and smooth as we'd once hoped. But instead, it was newly plowed, hard, and very hot. I felt like I was walking across hot coals and, might I say, looked pretty silly doing it. We finally arrived at our chosen spot, layed out the blanket, and started to relax.

It is unfortunate, but true that we are not beach people. Tim wanted to move up to the grass, and I did not want to walk across the steamy sand. So, we stayed on our blanket and watched a class reunion make huge sand castles. After about one hour, we decided to leave. Neither of us wanted to go into the moss-covered lake and I was feeling red. So, one hour is pretty good for two people who aren't beach people, don't like to swim in green lakes, and have fair skin that burns just by going out in the sun between the hours 12 and 3.

Next time, I'll just go to the pool at our apartment complex.

2 comments:

Eyes for Lies said...

I am a total beach person, but I can understand why you are not. I have dark skin which doesn't burn. I have seen people who burn within minutes. It's so amazing to me. I can sit outside for 8 hours in the sun once I have a tan, and I don't get any more color at all -- no burn, no tan -- nothing. I have a natural SPF built-in.

Eyes for Lies said...

I am a total beach person, but I can understand why you are not. I have dark skin which doesn't burn. I have seen people who burn within minutes. It's so amazing to me. I can sit outside for 8 hours in the sun once I have a tan, and I don't get any more color at all -- no burn, no tan -- nothing. I have a natural SPF built-in.