"When we blindly adopt a religion, a political system, a literary dogma, we become automatons. We cease to grow."
I recently read a blog where the woman accused liberals and Democrats of not educating themselves. She referred to us as "sheep". She stated that she reads several non-bias news organizations. That is hard to believe because most news organizations are bias one way or another...but that is a whole other ball of wax that I do not want to start.
Today, with only four days left until the election, I want to point something out. First, I usually like to tell people reasons why I am voting FOR John Kerry. I try not to state all of the negatives about GWB. However, that is not that kind of day. It is time to cut the niceties. It is time to get serious because this country is going in the wrong direction under his leadership. I am going to state my main reasons for casting my one ballot for John Kerry.
1. I felt lied to about the Iraq war. I got tired of hearing reason after changed reason why we are there. Dick Cheney and George W. Bush assured the American public that this was a just war. Now the 9-11 commission says there is no connectionI know that this may ruffle a few feathers. Oh, well. I know this might shock people who know me as mild mannered Sara. Some it won't shock at all.
between Iraq and the 9-11 attacks.
2. I think the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq was mishandled by the Bush administration. How can a President fly to an aircraft carrier and say "Mission Accomplished", then have 1000 more service men and women perish. Then, he says he doesn't regret that day on the aircraft carrier. Isn't that a slap in the face to the service people's parents? What did their children die for if the mission was
3. I disagree with his "No Child Left Behind" policies. He has underfunded it. I don't care if people say he has funded it. It is underfunded. I am on the frontlines. I see what overtesting and high-stakes testing is doing to quality of instruction. Teachers are no longer focusing on critical thinking skills, but instead focusing on drill and
skill. Does it make sense to have a six year old take a standardized test to prove that I am a quality teacher? There is a better way to do this.
4. I want a President who works for all Americans...not just the religious, the well-paid, the nuclear family, the never question the President citizens. He should be made accountable. In my job, I am made to be accountable. He should too. I want a President who values all Americans...the disadvantaged, the single parent, the woman, the child, the Muslim, the non-religious, the worker, the student,
immigrant citizens. He has alienated citizens by using his "either for us or against us" type stance on everything from terrorism to tax relief.
5. Finally, I do not buy that he is the only man on this planet who can fight terrorism. I don't see that he is a superhero. It only makes sense that any man or woman can do this who has a stake in America, the world, and human beings. I feel that we can be tough and respectful at the same time.
I hope everyone can appreciate the awesome concept of one person for one vote. The idea that we are offered the first amendment to voice our opinions and disagree with others. You can disagree with me. Many people (Democrats and Republicans alike) enjoy writing comments where they try to make the blog writer look stupid. Bring it on. Like my husband says, "Opinion are like a_ sho _e s , everyone has one."
If you need more information, check out this article written at thenation.com. Yeah, I know. Biased. Save it.